[pct-l] hiker trail vs. pack trail on Goat Rocks

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Tue May 28 20:29:02 CDT 2013

When I hiked through there in August, 2009, I first met a backpacker
coming southbound with a nasty gash on his knee. He warned me not to
take the official route across the glacier. The glacier had retreated
and the footing on the scree was treacherous, hence his gashed knee.

I arrived at the glacier and took one look at that trail and thought
no way, that's a death wish. I took the high route and found it
exhilarating and interesting. Not scary. Lots of clinking shards to
walk on, like walking on broken China dishes.

I should mention I was a 44-year-old lady at the time, not a pocket-
sized macho man. Your mileage may vary.

Diane