[pct-l] Rain pants, rain kilt, wind pants, or nothing for the Sierra?

Alan Miller alan.miller401 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 12:39:09 CDT 2013

Thank you everyone who responded to my last post about July 4th.  We got
our permit reserved for the JMT/PCT loop section by Mammoth!  Now the fun
stuff - gear.  I see a lot of gear lists where people do not add rain pants
or even a rain jacket until Oregon.  I struggle with this because where we
live, rain is inevitable on most trips.  I always pack a rain jacket and
rain pants.  Are rain pants necessary in the Sierra at the beginning of
July or would a pair of wind pants be enough?  Or, should we not bother
with either?  Both of our rain jackets are very light, so I will pack them
anyway, but the pants are kind of heavy.  Thanks