[pct-l] Rain pants, rain kilt, wind pants, or nothing for the Sierra?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed May 29 20:51:41 CDT 2013

Great description of the weekly weather cycle Jeffrey.  It starts with
clear skies for a couple of days maybe, then clouds in the PM, then in the
AM and then all hell breaks loose in the afternoons for a few days and it
starts again.  July, August and Sept. (although Sept is the driest) I've
always carried a light rain coat and real cheepo rain pants that are no
heavier than a pair of wind pants.  I also use them for layering and
warmth, but the pants are optional in my opinion.  I think the rain jacket
or poncho is a must for safety, however.

It's a great place to be at a great time of the year, except that the
mosquitos may carry you away on a wing and a prayer!  Rain coat or not,
make sure you've got a head net.  In the evening, the rain pants double as
mosquito protection.  Can't stand to hike in them if I don't have to, but
in camp they are great protection.

Shroomer