[pct-l] Hammock Camping the Entire Trail

Ed Jarrett edjarrett at msn.com
Fri Nov 1 12:43:07 CDT 2013

I have not done the whole trail yet, but can speak to Sierra City north.

Ed Jarrett Blog: http://aclayjar.blogspot.com/  Twitter: https://twitter.com/EdJarrett53 Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ed.jarrett.71

> From: museumgirl at me.com
> Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 12:30:51 -0500
> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
> Subject: [pct-l] Hammock Camping the Entire Trail
>
> Hi, all. I am interested in hearing how the hangers out there handle the different weather extremes of the trail.
>
> Do you use an underquilt or a sleeping pad to prevent CBS? Do you carry it the whole way, or bounce it to the highest elevations?
I use a 2/3's length UQ along with a short section of closed cell foam for my lower legs and feet.  The combination works well and gives me a sit pad as well.  The pad would also provide some cushion should I have to go to ground.  I have yet to encounter night time temps that would remove the need for an UQ or pad.

>  Is a really skimpy ultralight tarp enough to keep you dry, or is it worth the weight to go with one with a little more coverage?
I am using a 5 oz cuben fiber tarp from HammockGear that has good coverage and pretty low weight.

> Overquilt or bag? Down or synthetic?
Down quilt

> Have you ever had to bivy or cowboy for lack of anchors? Like in the dessert, or above the tree line?
I did take a tent for the night I spent on the Hat Creek Rim, and it was a miserable night.  It would have been possible to hang along the north end of the rim, but unfortunately I had been led to believe that it was not possible.  Never yet had to go to ground in the hammock, although it would not be too difficult if you were using a pad.

> Have you ever wished you had a tent because it's easier to get in and out of/dress in/warmer/________?
Never.  The hammock is easy to get in and out of, although it can be a challenge turning over.  It also makes for a nice seat, and I usually use it for getting dressed or chilling out should I have some extra time at the end of the day.