[pct-l] Hammock Camping the Entire Trail

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sat Nov 2 00:15:13 CDT 2013

I haven't hiked the entire PCT yet (but will attempt to do so next year), but have hung extensively in NorCal, 'some' in the Sierra & Oregon, and a few spots in SoCal...

Check Hammock Forums for some current & previous threads regarding hanging on the PCT:
<https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80795>,
<https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=771007&postcount=1>, &
<https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=331788&postcount=17>.

> Do you use an underquilt or a sleeping pad to prevent CBS? Do you carry it the whole way, or bounce it to the highest elevations?

I use a 3/4 underquilt and will also carry a torso length cut down ZLite pad for my legs/feet if needed (and 'go to ground' backup if needed, but it will probably get the most use a trail break sit/siesta pad)...
I will carry the UQ the whole way, might cut the pad down to a smaller 'sit pad' size after SoCal & Sierra...

> Is a really skimpy ultralight tarp enough to keep you dry, or is it worth the weight to go with one with a little more coverage?

Cuben material solves that - I have a HammockGear  tarp with doors - both great coverage & UL weight...

> Overquilt or bag? Down or synthetic?

Top quilt...  Both TQ & UQ are down...

> Have you ever had to bivy or cowboy for lack of anchors? Like in the dessert, or above the tree line?

Not yet - but will have to wait & see what SoCal provides me - but I have previously hung in some "treeless" areas - I will try my best to hang each night!
In the Sierra, if you only do one pass a day you can get back down to trees each night - though getting over Muir Pass from trees and back to trees is the longest haul...

> Have you ever wished you had a tent because it's easier to get in and out of/dress in/warmer/________?

Never!  A hammock is easier for me to get in & out of than a tent, easier to dress 'in', and just as warm, if not warmer, than an UL single-layer 'tent'...

Hope that helps - at least to start some more research!  ;-)

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)