[pct-l] Portable Electric Fence

Jeffrey Olson jjolson60 at centurylink.net
Tue Nov 5 19:57:06 CST 2013

I spent a week in the Five Pockets area in the Absorkas out of Dubois
Wyoming one year.  One of our party was deathly afraid of grizzlies, of
which there are many in this part of the world.  It didn't help that
every horseman had a giant pistol on their hip and rifle strapped to the
horse.  The only hiker we saw was packing a big black flat handled,
rectangular barreled handgun that must have weighted six or seven pounds
or more.  We had bear spray that clanked on our shoulder straps.  A
backcountry ranger friend later said he'd never go into that area
without a rifle...

At night my friend piled brush around his tent so that when the grizzly
came to eat him, he'd hear him coming and be awake to shoot him with
bear spray.

The only grizzly sighting we had was of paw prints in the mud /going the
other direction/ on the trail for a half mile.  They were still filling
with water... Spooky...

Jeff