[pct-l] Mendo Rider and bear charms

Susan Bates stmb216 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 6 13:10:48 CST 2013

Although in the high country Mendorider did use bear canisters elsewhere he consistently used what he called bear charms which were mothballs in a bag or used individually placed around the items he wanted to protect.  Since I considered Ed Anderson to be THE authority on riding the PCT I followed his advice on my journey and placed exactly 10 mothballs around my tent, covered tack and food (horse & human) and the only time I had any problem was when I failed to include a small carrying bag which had snacks in it earlier in the day. The chipmunks nibbled at the corners I guess smelling the crumbs.  As far as bears, we camped in a few areas where known bears habituated but never had any problems. Have you ever smelled mothballs....my guess is the bears and other animals just don't perceive the smell as related to something edible.

Susan

www.woodswitch.com home to my Pacific Crest Trail Journal
www.travelswithissy.com home to my Continental Divide Trail Journal
www.groomelite.com education for horsemen by horsemen, Founded by Susan Bates