[pct-l] Caustions about no-cook-food

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 16:09:30 CST 2013

On the PCT I cooked every night and ate all the junk food I could get my
hands on, off and on trail, and lost 35 lbs over the summer.  On the CDT I
precooked and dried all my own food.  It was highly nutritious with no
processed foods at all and I did not carry a stove, just soaked all my
meals.  I lost only 6 lbs over the summer and hiked with energy I never
dreamed of.  I was much healthier overall but attribute that to the quality
of food I was eating, not wether it was hot or cold.  It had been cooked
before drying.  I would guess that the article is talking about raw versus
cooked foods, not the benefit of just hot versus cold.  Raw foods are
different in what we can get out of them nutritionally.  I can't imagine
that a precooked dried meal is any different nutritionally wether it is hot
or cold.

The only difference is that Yoshihiro makes the most delicious hot soups
every evening that I've ever tasted on trail, and he's spoiled me.  I may
be carrying a stove on the AT this year for the first time in several
years, just for that!

Shroomer