[pct-l] Electrolytes

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 22:44:31 CST 2013

Oh yeah, pickle juice!  I love the stuff on trail at times.  I got to the
top of Mt. Laguna on a hot day, bought a jar of dill pickles and ate them
all and then drank all the juice and felt just fine.  It's full of salt and
vinegar.  Love it on trail.

Corn chips are great too.  Working in El Salvador on a Habitat build I got
everyone into eating plantain chips for the salt and potassium.  We had
several people nearly pass out on their first day of working hard under a
tropical sun.  I gave a lecture on desert exertion at dinner to several
groups of Americans and encouraged them all to eat their morning fried
plantain, eat the beans and eggs and just force it down.  They had all lost
their hunger due to the heat and activity.  By day 2, and many bags of
plantain chips down the hatch, none of them had a recurrence.  We had a few
wet T shirt parties when anyone got too hot and the rest of the week went
fine.  So, banana chips would be a good thing to add to the junk food mix
on trail.

Shroomer