[pct-l] Base weight criteria, AND..

Jeffrey Olson jjolson60 at centurylink.net
Sun Nov 10 13:13:05 CST 2013

In 1992 my girlfriend and I started at Lassen heading to Whitney with
Jansport D-3 and D-5 packs, leather boots, 10 days of food, and 72 and
56 pounds respectively.  We carried two sets of homemade fleece - 100
and 300 weights.  My kelty Tioga was four feet tall. I blew out an ACL
at Tahoe.

In 1994 I started a section hike wearing five pounds of boots and 25
pounds of gear.  I got rid of the boots at Crater Lake and picked up
mail order NB 801s at Diamond Lake.  I wore Tevas for that short
stretch.  I hiked my first 20 mile days in the Oregon desert - base
weight down to 20 pounds.  I ended that six week trip at about 17 pounds.

In 2005 I abandoned snowshoes just south of Harts Pass.

I'm chomping at the bit for another long section hike, and can't wait to
be comfortable and safe at a sub-10 pound pack.  What with cuben fiber
and experience I think it's possible.  Sleeping quilt, pad, tent and
pack are now around 5 and a half pounds.

Now - it's do I get the knee replaced - the right one is worn out...

Jeff

It's been years and years whittling down gear.