[pct-l] Training Hikes in SF Bay Area

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 22:34:29 CST 2013

Attention all San Francisco Bay Area hikers.  This winter we’ll be doing
training hikes on Mt. Diablo and other local mountains aimed at folks
setting off on long trails this spring.  Last Saturday 12 of us met to
celebrate one hiker’s 56th Birthday with a 5600 vertical foot day on Mt.
Diablo.  We bagged North Peak, the Summit and then all the way back down
and up again to Eagle Peak for sunset.  It was an incredible hike of 19
miles, and including the uncounted ups and down, probably more like 6500
vertical feet total.

Of the 12, 7 were training for the PCT next year or the year after, 2 for
the AT, 2 for Tierra del Fuego one JMTer and several for all around
fitness.  In the group was a Triple Crowner, and others who had finished
the PCT and CDT, and one professional Triathlon trainer.  It was a full day
of trail talk with certified and certifiable Trail Trash!  Folks are coming
in from Sacramento, Santa Cruz and down from the Wine Country.

If you’re interested in joining us over the winter (later we’ll be doing
storm hikes) shoot me an email to: baidarker at gmail.com and I’ll put you on
the email list for upcoming hikes.  Give me your name and what you’re
training for.  Some of the hikes are serious gut busters and others are
suitable for beginners.  I don’t lead hikes per se, but invite you up and
coming thru hikers to meet us at trailheads you may not otherwise know
about, and also to join us for some great camaraderie while you train your
muscles on trails as steep as 45% grades.  If you can hike Diablo, you can
hike the PCT!  As Shelly would say, “these people are your Tribe.”   Come
on out and meet ‘em.

Shroomer