[pct-l] Electrolytes

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Fri Nov 8 07:29:15 CST 2013

[pct-l] Electrolytes *My favorite electrolyte source is  "Lay's Barbecue
Chips".

Nutrition Facts per 1 oz.

Calories.............160
Fat......................10g
Carbohydrate..15g
Protein.................2g
Sodium........150mg
Potassium...320mg

Hard to beat those numbers.

BTW....if you want a stronger concentration of electrolytes, you don't
need to waste your money on pickle juice, Gatorade, salt sticks, Elete,
Emergen-C and so on.
Just plain salt tablets will do the same at a fraction of the cost.

In the USMC 1 salt tablet per liter of water were standard on our forced
conditioning hikes with packs and full battle gear ( Heavy Trucker style),
were sweating was taken to the extreme.

JMT Reinhold
Your Lay's BBC Chips munching trail companion

Brick Robbins* brick at brickrobbins.com
<mailto:pct-l%40backcountry.net?Subject=%5Bpct-l%5D%20Electrolytes&In-Reply-To=1B95B5B1-752A-4414-B4C4-5BF38A2D668F%40gmail.com>
//
>/  I was going to recommend these, too. They really work when you are
/>/  suffering. Sometimes despite your best efforts to get what you need
/>/  from food, you fail, and these capsules are helpful. If you're just
/>/  looking for something tasty to drink, I think the crystal light
/>/  hydration lemonade is the most palatable. Almost any drink mix that
/>/  is lemonade flavor and without sugar, actually, but crystal light is
/>/  available in ordinary grocery stores. Without it, I can struggle to
/>/  drink a 20oz bottle of water. With it, 20oz goes down easy. Sometimes
/>/  on the trail you have to tank up when the water sources are far apart.
/>/
/>/  On Nov 7, 2013, at 10:00 AM,pct-l-request at backcountry.net  <http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l>  wrote:
/>/
/>>/  Subject: Re: [pct-l] Electrolytes
/>>/  To: "pct-l at backcountry.net  <http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l>" <pct-l at backcountry.net  <http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l>>
/>/
/>>/  Sorry I didn't include the link to the Saltstick website. Here it is:
/>>/
/>>/  http://www.saltstick.com/products/sscaps/cfeatures.htm
/>>/
/>>/  It was originally created for bikers by a PhD biochemist biker but
/>>/  a lot of ultra runners use it too; you only need one capsule
/>>/  for every 3-4 hours of intense hiking in hot weather. I use much less.
otato/