[pct-l] How the apocalypse can benefit PCT hikers

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Fri Nov 15 05:21:57 CST 2013

Ron,
	I sort of agree. But many of their products are simply blanched before drying. This leaves them, basically, in an uncooked state. Peas, corn, carrots, okra, etc, are not cooked. They require about 15-20 minutes of cooking time, AFTER they are rehydrated. Rehydrating can take the better part of two to three hours in cold water, or, another 10 minutes in boiling water. I don't mind cooking for three quarters of an hour to make stew, but this is a lot of extra fuel needed to be used. Yes, the veggies seem better tasting, but the meat products are not real great. As you indicate, the ham is quite salty. I have gotten so I don't bother with Honeyville the past 6-7 years. Their powdered eggs are OK in mixes, pancakes, muffins, etc. I generally simply buy precooked stuff at the local grocery store and carry a bag of mixed dried/precooked vegetables. For meats I pick up the standard fare: pepperoni, dried sausage, salami, dried beef, jerkey, etc that do as good a job, perhaps better with all the seasonings in the meats. But this also means eating a lot of preservatives. I don't have a problem with that, but some say it is bad for you. Somehow, I don't think anything is that bad on the trail. The Honeyville stuff is really meant to be used at home. Be cautious...
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm
"...Hence Honeyville Food Products, Inc. http://honeyville.com/index.html Even a heedless agnostics can visit their stores (two in Utah, one in Arizona, and one in Southern California--I just spent $70 at their Rancho Cucamonga, CA,
store.) or order online from an amazing array of freeze dried fruits, meats, vegetables, dairy products, soups, and meals.  These can be combined in your own zip lock freezer bags for tasty meals along the PCT (I thank "Two Bar Betty," one of our Trail Geezers, for the idea and the lead to Honeyville).  You can even order their 11 lb "Essentials Survival Backpack Kit" for $180, which comes in a large hiker's backpack and contains enough food to last you two weeks.
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/essentialssurvivalbackpack.aspx#.UoVVyBqTgtI
Just jerk out the heavier accessories, replace them with your ultra-lite stuff, and you're ready to hit the trail.  Their stores also have an array a la carte camping equipment and supplies.
Ron "Manzanita" Graybill"