[pct-l] RayWay article in Backpacker

GottaWalk gottawalk at pacbell.net
Fri Nov 15 13:21:53 CST 2013

This is an old Ray Jardine interview by Backpacker but it is still applicable to hiking today. I enjoyed rereading it.

http://www.backpacker.com/february_1998_feature_ultralight_ray_jardine_profile/gear/2451

The most interesting quote is when Ray was talking about his third PCT thru and why it was pure joy. I am glad I read that quote as I prep for my next hike. I think it will be a statement that I will recall as I hike to remind myself exactly why I am hiking.

One of my hiking observations is that it is easy to deal with one problem like hiking in the rain. Two simultaneous problems, hiking in the rain and dropping my snack in the mud, is still doable. But three problems, rain and muddy snack and a steep climb that didn't show on the profile test my mettle. That's when thinking about Ray and his joy of hiking will come in.

YMMV
...GottaWalk