[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 71, Issue 15 Trekking Poles on airplanes

be hope bh.csuchico at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 16:55:03 CST 2013

My SOBO route home was thru Vancouver on Alaska Air. Arriving at the
check-in station early, I showed them my collapsed poles (which will not
fit in my pack) and queried “what about these?” They replied “no problem,
they fall into the category of hockey sticks and we'll check them no
charge” and they gave me a long, narrow, transparent “Alaska Air” plastic
bag to pack them. I taped my small knife and tent stakes to the poles ~~
instead of surrendering those items at the security check. It was nice to
carry-on my pack and not worry about the possibility of a lost checked-bag
and also skip a checked-bag fee. Alaska Air now charges $25 for the first
checked-bag ~~ unless you're a “Club 49” member or have “elite miles.”

Probably a good idea to phone the airline as “hiking poles” don't seem to
be listed in the fine print for “carry-on-baggage.”

be hope

Does anyone know if you can take collapsed trekking poles in your bag?

Quackers