[pct-l] Break Strategies

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 01:26:35 CST 2013

Breaks are really an individual preference and can change day to day.  On
the PCT I usually got on trail by 5:30 to 6 and often didn't stop till
noon, fueling every hour as I walked.  My pockets were filled with crackers
and cheese or candy bars and other high energy foods.  And I was always
starving.  I remember a few days where I simply walked on through lunch and
ate while walking.  It gets to feel really good to just keep on walking.
 It wasn't over doing it as it was at a rational pace and I didn't feel the
need to stop that often.

On the CDT I took more breaks, mid morning and mid afternoon, but was
hiking with others and we all kind of stayed together most of the time and
that was the pattern.  But I did a totally different food strategy.  This
time I ate no junk at all.  Through New Mexico and up until the snow of the
San Juans, I only ate breakfast, lunch and dinner.  The meals were huge,
but made up of lots of dried veggies, rice or potatoes, meat, nuts, dried
fruit and seeds.  Nothing but nutrient dense foods.  I never hit the wall
and wasn't hungry until about the last half hour before a real mealtime.
 Way different.  I felt much better and couldn't believe that I wasn't
starving all the time.  There was no need to fuel on the hour as I had done
on the PCT where the crackers and candy bars just seemed to go through me
in about an hours time.  When we hit the San Juans I needed to up the
calorie intake even more and added blocks of cheese and sausage and it was
simply too much to eat at one meal and I broke my breakfast up by eating
half of it at 6am, the second half at 9am, then half my lunch at 12pm and
half at 3pm.

Although the food was very different on each of the hikes, the pattern of
breaks seemed to more or less figure itself out.  I never thought of it as
a strategy.

Sometimes there is a certain lethargy that sets in on a break for me and it
is just more easy to keep going.  I didn't notice any undue consequences
from not breaking.  Part of thru hiking is finding a pace that you can
maintain all day with minimum wear and tear on the body.  Too fast and
you'll need the break, too slow and you won't make it to Canada.

Hike on and great question.

Shroomer