[pct-l] Fwd: Hiker-trash lifestyle and the Future...

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 01:50:36 CST 2013

The modern day hobo, yeah, that's pretty much what life on trail is.  My
first experience of hobo life was as a hippie, living with my thumb out,
hitching all across this wonderful land, living off the road.  They were
summers of freedom and amazing experiences, trail angels even though we
didn't have that word for them, and a life that was as simple as it was
complex.  Nothing to think about except did we have food and where we gonna
get rained on.

I finished college and had a career for years that allowed me to work with
people and that's always good, but I've found the road again in retirement
and its face is the Trail.  Nothing reminds me more of the '60s and that
life I lived on the road as the life of being certifiable hiker trash.  The
caring for each other on trail and the spirit of almost everyone associated
with the long trails reminds me of those early, rebellious, and wonderful
days when it seemed half the youth of the country were hitching from the
East Coast to the West and us Westerners on our way back East.  It was
good, and the PCT is good and brings out the best in people and some of the
best experiences you'll ever have.  But for me it's the first place I
kissed the face of the '60's again and found I still loved her.

Shroomer