[pct-l] Vacuum Sealing Issues

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 21 07:41:02 CST 2013

Alan,
	I would try a piece of paper folded into a pocket, rather than more plastic. At least it will make a good fire starter, candle wick, or can easily be disposed of by burning or burying it...it is usually biodegradable. Rice and other sharp edged things are always a problem. The paper will supply more cushioning against a poke than another baggie. I have found that re-cycled snack bags (mylar) works pretty well and are lighter than the supplied bags, but that doesn't prevent the occasional pokes. If you use space blanket material, make sure you use it coated side out. A lot less expensive than their predesigned bags.
	I used to have one when they first came out, but haven't used it in several years. My daughter has it now. Rice doesn't really need to be vacuumed. There might be a 5% volume savings, but mostly I just carry it loose in a baggie. It stores better than it gets used. A handful or two works as a supper. Gravy mixes are usually just bullion(1tsp), corn starch(1tsp) & flour(1tsp.) Chicken, ham, beef are the three I use. Added to a trail stew, it works, OK. For example, poached trout (bedded on rice & veggies, with chicken gravy.)
	Apparently the bags or mylar will take the heat of boiling water. Never tried it, but canning should work, too (pasteurizing) if you ever have the need. I hate to carry water weight, though in the dry areas, it matters not. You have to carry water, anyway.
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm