[pct-l] Break Strategies

Robert Henry rrh.henry at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 12:10:25 CST 2013

For my thru hike in 2012, I hiked for 50 minutes and rested for 10 minutes,
the only exceptions being when there was a spectacular view.  (One of the
factoids I picked up in my youth was that was how the British Army marched
at a steady pace of 2mph.)

Those 10 minutes were pretty busy: Pack on ground, sit down immediately on
the ground with my legs stretched out in front of me.  Put sleeping pad
under knees. Take off shoes and socks and let air.  Take out wet clothing,
if any, and let air.  Grab a bite to eat if after 11AM.  Consult map. Enjoy
view for a few minutes. Repack food and clothing.  Put socks and shoes on.
Stand up, pack on, and off I went. By following this strategy I was never
stiff on restart.   If, however, I spent those 10 minutes sitting on a
rock, log, chair or bench, it took me 15 minutes to get limber and back up
to speed.

This strategy also was somewhat amusing.  I would play leapfrog all day
long with my fellow hikers, as I would normally hike faster than they, but
would rest longer.  So our VMG (velocity made good) was identical.