[pct-l] Break Strategies

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Fri Nov 22 13:21:16 CST 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Robert Henry <rrh.henry at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know that psychologically I'm prone to keep pushing on ("the view around
> the next turn is bound to be better"), so working off the clock, as
> anal-retentive as that is, was a way I could manage the resting and
> calories.

I hiked in the days before portable electronics (no music, no email)
and I hiked in a high snow year I started late but moved quickly and
only came across 2 other groups of hikers the whole way, and I didn't
hike with them very long because they were moving much slower than I
was, so I was alone about 99% of the time.

I found that by the time I hit NorCal, I felt like my mind was turning
to mush so I picked up a paperback and allowed myself 2 half hour
breaks to read during the day.

Otherwise I just walked more or less continuously all day, only
stopping to wash my feet and socks when water was nearby, and I ate
while walking.