[pct-l] break strategies, now sleeping bags

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Sun Nov 24 14:56:06 CST 2013

"WIred" used a zpacks bag.  I have used a 28 oz dri down SIerra
Designs bag for one month on the PCT in Oregon this year and was happy
with it especially when it rained for 8 hours straight overnight. I
usually use a Mountain Hardware Women's Phantom 15  (34 oz.) and it
has not lost any loft or looked the worse or wear in 3 years of
use--CT, AZT, GET and 1000 miles of the PCT. It is true to its
temperature rating. I am not a sweaty sleeper and always wear sleeping
clothes of lightweight long underwear tops and bottoms, a hat and
socks set aside for sleeping. So I haven't noticed the inside of the
bag getting appreciably dirty.
Don't know how I'd do without a hood option--seems that I often am
hiking in spring in freezing temps and like the option of closing the
drawstring when I need to. I don't carry a down jacket with a hood.
--Fireweed