[pct-l] Break Strategies now sleeping bags

GottaWalk gottawalk at pacbell.net
Sun Nov 24 21:01:07 CST 2013

I like the idea of getting it slightly long and then pulling it up if I need a hood. I really like the weight!
Thanks,
...GottaWalk

On Nov 24, 2013, at 9:07 AM, Scott Williams <baidarker at gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Marcia,

You're right about cleanliness, but for what it's worth, I always sleep in the clothes I hike in and that was the same on the PCT and CDT, so why the down hasn't held up, I'm not sure.  Maybe I was just a way dirtier dude on the PCT.  Both are packed tight in a Sea to Summit bag when in the pack and that really takes it out of down, but the Zpacks has more miles on it and people still ask me if I just got a new bag because it fluffs up so well.

The lack of a hood is no problem, actually I like it better.  I bought a Zpacks bag that was 3 inches longer than I technically needed.  I'm 5' 9'' and I got a 6' bag.  There is a draw string at the top to snug it all up, but whereas with a hood, when I turn in my bag, I often end up breathing right into the bag, as I end up facing a wall of down, or twisting the whole thing in some uncomfortable way, with the Zpacks, it is just a snuggly hole that sort of reconfigures as I turn.  I pull it right over my head like a hood, but that hood can be formed in any direction.  I just find it much more comfortable, and don't miss the hood in the least as the bag still forms a hood when I want one.

Shroomer