[pct-l] break strategies, now sleeping bags

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 20:19:44 CST 2013

On Nov 25, 2013, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Subject: Re: [pct-l] break strategies, now sleeping bags
> To: P Isabella <isabella at bendnet.com>
> But I'd recommend looking at some of the smaller businesses. They
> will make just what you need and no more. Try hammockgear.com,
> undergroundquilts.com, and jacksrbetter.com. (You don't have to use
> them with a hammock; it's just that hangers rarely use full bags.)

I have a Jacks R Better quilt. He makes very nice gear. Mine is only
rated to 45 degrees but he makes them much warmer than that. One nice
thing about it is it can open up into a flat rectangle. The footbox
isn't permanent. Therefore it can behave more like a normal blanket
if you ever want it to do so. It also has a little slit in the middle
to put your head through. Then you can wear it. So what I do is when
it's winter or really cold, I bring my Jacks R Better quilt along
with my regular quilt. I wear it as a "serape" jacket (warmth down
below my knees!) before bed and then as an extra blanket in bed.
There are never any drafts now that I have two quilts and I'm as warm
or warmer than I am at home.