[pct-l] SoBo from Whitney (now Kennedy Meadows) Section Hike

Michael Irving michaeljirving at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 15:53:16 CST 2013

Thanks for the feedback on Whitney and hiking south from there regarding trails in from Lone Pine and timing.  Being that I'm not interested in winterizing my hike, what's the earliest (normal thru-hiking style) time to depart Kennedy Meadows and section hike to Tehachapi Pass?

It looks like the high-point of this segment is about 8,000' at mile 687 and then there are a few blips up to 7,000' also along the way.  Is this something that could be done around the end of March/early April?  Or would later be recommended?  Do these high-points have standing snow pack in the winter that have to melt off or do they just get hit with storms that then melt off in between?

I have a feel for this up in Oregon, but I don't have a feel for the transition from winter to spring that far south.  I'd also be curious if there's more propensity to rain (significantly) during that time frame as my perception of southern California is that it's generally dry all the time with some rare rain thrown in every now and then that comes and goes pretty quickly.

Thanks!  I'm trying to fit in an early section hike down south while I'm waiting for the Oregon snow to melt to do my section hike up here later in the summer.

-GoalTech