[pct-l] Late Start 2014

Gary Wright at2002 at mac.com
Tue Oct 1 19:06:29 CDT 2013

On Oct 1, 2013, at 4:03 PM, Michael Slusser <michael.slusser at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, all. These echo the thoughts and plans in my head, but not having
> done this monstrous and wonderful thing before, I was growing concerned. I
> had planned 20 miles a day on average, and have been training for the past
> six months or so.

As many others have written, it is entirely possible to start on May 16th and
finish a PCT through hike.

I would add that how you manage your town stays is going to be a key part to success. You'll want to avoid idle time in town.  Get in and get out.  Ideally you can arrive in the mid-afternoon after a 20+ mile day, do your errands and either get back on the trail first thing in the morning or even better in the evening.

In the Sierra's you'll want to avoid a resupply and go from Kennedy Meadows to VVR or alternatively from Lone Pine (via Horseshoe Meadows) to Red's Meadow.  The mid-sierra resupply will occupy a full day.

Plan your resupplies accordingly.  For example, instead of going into Sisters, send your resupply package to Big Lake Youth Camp, which is just off the trail.

I think you'll also find that you'll have a much smaller cohort of hikers than if you started earlier. If you are looking for more of that camaraderie that comes with hiking closer towards the main 'pack' of hikers you'll want to consider a flip-flop of some sort.

Radar