[pct-l] Rescued PCT hikers

Steve Rolfe steve.rolfe at comcast.net
Thu Oct 3 22:54:10 CDT 2013

For the past week I've been very worried about thru-hikers still on the
trail.  The conditions must have been/still are miserable, or worse -- life
threatening.  It seems my concern was valid.  I suspect we will hear in the
next few days more are in trouble.  I hope not.

The quote copied from a post on this list serve yesterday disturbs me.

"We finally made it to Trout Lake today and another huge storm is rolling
in," Arnold wrote. "Everyone says we can't make it because of the weather
situation, and to be honest it's quite terrifying, but I can't fathom coming
this far and giving up."

For many years here in Washington I was involved in search and rescue.
Bringing back bodies in bags is disturbing, especially since I cannot
remember a case where the cause was an "accident".  Every time the people
involved ignored risks that should have been obvious, and were obvious to
the many others who avoided those risks.

Long ago I learned success in a climb is not making it to the summit, but
making it back down -- alive.  The same applies to a thru-hike.

For some there is a mindset that virtue is how much punishment one can take.
Please don't misunderstand me; I don't mean to criticize the person who
recently posted this story on the list serve.  Stories about hiking 200
miles in sandals because of gigantic blisters are entertaining and
educational, but the goal of a hike should not be how you persevered through
hardship, but how you wisely avoided hardship (and danger) in the pursuit of
joy.  I'm glad this person was capable of dealing with their blisters.  But,
shouldn't they have known enough to deal with this problem before it became
a calamity.  Stopping at the earliest signs of a blister and taping one's
feet is good practice -- it is not "giving in" to one's pain.

Many thru-hikers prepare carefully and are safety conscious.  Typically
those are the ones who are successful and enjoy their experience.  I'm
concerned, however, by the attitude of a few I read about in this list serve
that glorifies the achievement, but neglects to understand or acknowledge
the true character of the challenges.

Stopping one's thru-hike because the weather is life threatening is not
"giving up".  It is an honest recognition of the risk and challenge.  It
shows maturity, judgment and character.

Steve