[pct-l] Another missing hiker found

Andrea Dinsmore andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com
Tue Oct 8 15:35:11 CDT 2013

I am in the same state of mind....but from my end of the Angeling it's how
to protect the hikers when they insist on going into the deep snow in the
North Cascades. Besides preparing them to stay warm, dry and fed we try and
educate them on what they are walking into. It scares me enough after
dealing with Ian Sarmento last year being out there 19 days between Stevens
and Stehekin and watching his Mother and friends become so emotionally
drained.....including me. Most of the hikers dink around coming up the
trail and take too many Zeros and don't seem to feel the need to be up here
by mid September at the border. It starts to rain most years by mid
September. Low clouds, colder temps, snow in the higher elevations and by
late September you are likely to get Arctic storms that come in and dump
2-3 feet of heavy wet snow. They go out into what SAR agencies consider
hazardous weather conditions just because they have this personal need to
finish. They don't consider they are putting the lives of the SAR folks on
the line because their "needs and wants" are more important than anyone
else. How would you feel if the husband, father son of someone died trying
to rescue you from where you really shouldn't have been just because YOU
had the right to be there. I've watched all the comments on the various
Facebook pages of how no one has the right to stop you and if the rest of
us don't like what you are doing then we can stuff it.

HYOH......just don't ask anyone to risk their lives to come get your silly
ass. Just HYOH on your own. My feeling....if you push that spot
button.....YOU PAY FOR THE RESCUE.

Andrea Dinsmore
PCT MOM
Skykomish/Baring Trail Angel