[pct-l] Rescue (was Re: Another missing hiker found)

Andrea Dinsmore andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com
Tue Oct 8 15:44:16 CDT 2013

In the last 2 years I have called search and rescue on 2 hikers. Last year
was Ian out 19 days on a 5-6 day hike. I knew he had gotten dumped on by a
terrible blizzard. I knew he had not picked up his resupply box at the
Stehekin PO. I called  on day 16. I knew he was out of food for quite
awhile because I helped him pack his food. I knew how under dresses he was
for the conditions.

This year I called SAR on Taka. He was equipped well but after 9 days he
was very over due.  I helped with his food supply and knew he was low or
out. Also both these hikers were by them selves. Neither had a PLB. I will
continue to call SAR to rescue a person I feel (non emotionally) that is
probably in trouble. I tracked Taka through other hikers before I called.
This will not change.

Andrea
PCT MOM