[pct-l] Another missing hiker found

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 8 18:42:41 CDT 2013

Terry wrote:

The Federal Government is shut down, many states are close to shutting down
for being bankrupt and we have to deal with a few people who have no clue as
to what they are getting into, and costing all of us hundreds of thousands
of dollars and risking the lives of the SAR personnel, just to rescue their
butt.

It is a fact of the universe that given any sufficiently large group of
people, there are *no* set of rules that are perfectly fair and immune to
abuse.  It's just not possible.  Once you accept that fact, then the only
remaining question is what kind of abuses do you prefer to live with.

Personally, in this case, I'd much rather deal with the abuses of some
people getting free rescues due to their own carelessness rather than the
abuses of having government personnel stationed at all trailheads telling me
whether or not I may proceed based on some bureaucrat's abstract idea of
acceptable risk.  To me, the first scenario is the lesser of the two evils.
You may disagree, and that's ok.  :-)

Eric