[pct-l] Rescue (was Re: Another missing hiker found)

chiefcowboy at verizon.net chiefcowboy at verizon.net
Tue Oct 8 20:48:49 CDT 2013

Andrea,

As an experienced hiker (JMT three times, Tahoe Rim, PCT two times and
countless other trails over the many years) AND as a person who is
experienced with SAR (35 years with Riverside County Sheriff coordinating
with Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit and other units) I will make the
following observations:

    1.  There are more hikers than ever, hence more demand on rescue
resources.
    2.  We DO NOT want to make decisions about whether or not to activate
SAR based on financial concerns.  The only concerns should be the
conditions, experience level of those needing rescue,                and
many  other aspects such as medical conditions or injuries.
    3.  MANY PCT hikers start out unprepared, which in my humble opinion is
inexcusable.  Hiking the PCT is not a decision one reaches in a moment of
excitement.  It should be one reached after serious         research (What
exactly is the PCT and what am I getting myself into?).  Then, there are
literally dozens of sources of information - the guidebooks, Yogi's Guides -
not to mention the literally thousands     of trail journals out there.  I
read about a hundred of these and learned a heck of a lot from others,
including mistakes they had made which I didn't need to make.  There is
absolutely no excuse to start     the trek uneducated or unprepared.  I am
not saying that you cannot modify or adjust your plan or gear, but if you
start out with a lot of information you will be better prepared.
   4.  There appears to be a lot of self-imposed pressure to "finish."  That
is understandable because after doing 2500 or 2600 it is only normal to want
to "succeed."   But, the decision to proceed                     in
questionable weather MUST be made dispassionately with the appropriate
concern placed on SAFETY.
    5.  In reading journals, I also noted that some folks take a LOT of (in
my opinion) unnecessary zero days, thus delaying their arrival in the
pacific northwest.  Again, in my humble opinion, if a hiker the
wants to lolly-gag along the way and reaches the cold country late, they
should be willing to accept the fact that they caused their "failure" to
complete the trail and complete it when it is safe to do so.

Hiking the trail in a single season is a great goal, but it is not worth
dying for.

Ron "Burning Daylight" Dye
PCT 2009 and 2012