[pct-l] Paying for SAR

James Vesely jvesely at sstinternational.com
Wed Oct 9 15:35:32 CDT 2013

I wonder how much tax and income revenue PCT hikers and people who do
outdoor activities generate, it's probably in the multiple billions of
dollars if you include food, hotel stays, gear purchases, thousands of
manufacturing jobs, etc.

I think the SAR costs would be a tiny, tiny fraction of that and I think
a lot more people would just stay home if they new that if they called
for help they might incur a lifelong debt.

Certain services such as search and rescue should be built into our
economy and they benefit more people then the ones being saved.

Jim