[pct-l] Paying for SAR

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 9 19:46:22 CDT 2013

I don't think, faced with a true life-or-death situation, that anybody in an emergency would object to compensate, in some way, shape, or form, those who risked life and limb and, yes, costly resources, for a successful search and rescue.

At the same time, recalling the stories about hikers calling for SAR days into their hike, I think hikers might twice about hitting the "SAR me" button if they knew there may be financial consequences.

I don't mean to be callous but there is a difference between "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up" and "Help, I am lost, and can't figure out this map and compass thing and, by the way, I didn't think I would need a tent or an extra day's worth of food. Oh, and I'm thirsty because I was counting on a water cache that I can't locate."

Save the SAR for true emergencies.

Ernie Castillo
PCT Class of 1980