[pct-l] Paying for SAR

Andrea Dinsmore andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com
Wed Oct 9 23:54:42 CDT 2013

It is not just PCT hikers that are rescued in our area. This SAR service
needs to be for everyone. We just had SAR called today by 6 elderly little
ladies who misplaced one of the girls. She wasn't gone an hour before aid
was summoned. That's another story.....but the point is they came.  I let
them know about the financial straits our SAR unit is in. Our interest is
they come when called.

I believe educating the PCT hikers on what they are really going to get
into up here not what they hear from friends that came through on a low
snow year. Rose colored glasses don't work in the wilderness. The weather
may change from 60 to 25 and a 3' dump of snow with in a few days up here.
After looking at 11 yrs of dealing with hikers between Stevens Pass and
Stehekin it is good hiking weather, warm temps, fresh berries to eat up the
trail and the rivers are low if you hit the border by the 15th of Sept.
That's about August 15th or so at Cascade Locks. Some years like this one
and 4 other years I can remember the trail was all but impassible by Sept
25th at Snoqualmie.

The difference in hikers is when the trail had 3' of snow on it everyone
got off and came back later years and finished in good weather. The past
2-3 years hikers are going out in dangerous conditions.

Hiking Options:

What about a SOBO......we had 24 hikers this year that went through here in
July and early August.

We had 100 NOBO by Sept 1st.......some section hikers doing a flip.

Some hike north from the Southern Terminus before Kick Off and then come
back to KO, party for 3 days and get a hitch back to where you stopped.

Some get up to the beginnings of the Sierras and flip north to miss that
snow then head north and finish at the Canadian border......then flip back
down south to finish the Sierras.

There's many different combinations to choose from to get the best shot of
beating the weather.  I haven't seen a PCT law or rule that says you must
hike north to be cool.  HYOH......do a SOBO you see a lot more hikers than
NOBO.

Get your act together and get your butts up here before the snow.....or
deal with a bunch of garbage weather wise.

Andrea Dinsmore
PCT MOM
Stevens Pass, WA.