[pct-l] Paying for SAR

Luis Velasco velascoluis at cox.net
Thu Oct 10 00:42:26 CDT 2013

A short story.

Last summer on a Saturday, may wife daughter and I hiked to Devil's
Punchbowl (Julian, CA), a short three mile something hike, but during one
of the hottest day's of the year (100+).  Yes, we were well prepared.

At the trailhead were SAR volunteers selectively approaching and talking
to hikers who appeared ill-prepared for the hike on that hot day.
Additionally, a Sheriffs SAR helicopter hovered slowly along the trail
keeping an eye out anyone requesting help.

On our way down the trail we noticed that nearly every group returning
hikers had a heat casualty (beat red skin, not sweating, staggering walk)
being assisted by other group members.  We offered water, most politely
refused but two accepted the offer.

Eventually, my daughter overheated as well (a medication side effect). Her
mother and I quickly cooled her down with water, umbrella shade and
fanning. We were carrying 10 liters combined.

Tough kid my daughter, after recovering she was determined to go on--her
mother and I kept close eye on her and made sure she swam under the
waterfall at the bottom.

On our return the helicopter patrolling along.  Surprisingly, the pilot
and crew made eye contact with every hiking group--a simple wave and they
proceeded along.  Yes, they were that close.

Returning to the trailhead we learned that a number of people had suffered
head exhaustion and had been evacuated by helicopter.  The next day we
read that a teenage girl had died of head stroke on the same trail in the
same conditions.

My point.  It was surprising to see how ill-prepared people were; lack of
water, sun protection, and the (perceived) avoidance to request help.  The
majority of people were high school/college age; my wife and I were
probably the other end of the spectrum (my daughter was 20 at that time).

I believe the issue here is lack of skills and risk assessment.  All of
these can be learned; however, some (to include myself) learn better via
the university of hard-knocks. And as many learned that weekend, some
lessons have very substantial consequences.

For those reasons I teach my daughter a new skill whenever we hike, map
reading, first aid, water purification, night navigation, basic survival
skills and pushing her beyond her perceived limits while learning to
assess the risks of our environment and situation.

Bottom line: Line is a team-effort. Learn from each other and take care of
each other.

Also, if you really believe emergency services should be reimbursed, then
the next time you're saved, man-up and offer to pay the bill for SAR, EMT,
Fire and Rescue, etc. service rendered.  They may not accept the offer,
but they sure will be in awe of your fortitude.

- Luis