[pct-l] The guide books

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri Oct 11 14:16:23 CDT 2013

Different people deal (adapt) with adversity in different ways. Some
tolerate pain and discomfort well while others panic at the prospect.

Know deep down why you are there in the first place! If you don't mind
'tolerating' adversity, knowing that you can get through it with little
injury, and maybe that's why you are there, anyway, as a personal challenge,
then it becomes a game to see how little you really need. Those who have
high tolerances can carry very little a be quite thrilled at their success.
Those who have low tolerance levels can bring all the luxuries of home in a
heavy pack and travel short distances because of it and be quite happy, too.
Know yourself and why you're out there before leaving home, otherwise you
may be in for a shock.

Learn as much as you can about your adversary (yes, the trail may not be
your friend!) before any confrontation, if you want to succeed. Read trail
journals in light of the type of season they travelled in, then watch the
winter weather preceding your thru hike departure date. Your season may be
different. Best of all, go into the mountains during the thru-hiker season
the year before to see for yourself how well you do in those conditions. Be
prepared for the worst and enjoy the best!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org