[pct-l] PCT southbounders spotted between Red's Meadow and Sonora Pass

Paint Your Wagon n801yz at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 17 15:16:14 CDT 2013

For your listening and dining pleasure.
Here’s a list of SOBO thru hikers and/or long distance section hikers that I met as I hiked Section H and I north out of Red’s Meadow.
The time line is approximately the last two weeks of September.

In order of appearance...

Section H

FIRST
Bearbait/F and Toolbox/F, met just north of Agnew Meadow. (Canada-Mexico)

Tittycakes/M, met as I was ascending the south face of Donoghue Pass. (Canada-Mexico)

Rubberband/F, Eagle Eye/F and Artsy/F, met as I was descending the north face of Donoghue Pass. (South Lake Tahoe to Onyx)

Yo Yo/M, met at the Davison Street Hostel in Mammoth Lakes. (Canada-Mexico) >>> he’s OUT <<<

Section I

Sierra/M, met south of Seavey Pass. (section hiking I) >>> 18,000 miles and counting <<<

River/F, met in the bottom of Kerrick Canyon. (section hiking H, I, J, K, L, M) >>> 300 miles under her belt since starting <<<

Hot Cakes/F, Smooth/M and Special Ops./M, met as I was climbing west of Return Creek (Canada-Mexico)

Jane/F and Nat/M, met as I was climbing between Rancheria Creek and Stubblefield Canyon. (Canada-Mexico)

LAST
Puppeteer/M, met at the water crossing in Stubblefield Canyon (Canada-Mexico)

FWIW: I’m now off the trail, having left the southern border May 20th.
I attempted a thru hike border to border for a second year in a row.
I exited the PCT at Sonora Pass, calling my hike due to chronic and severe plantar faciitis in my left foot.
Also, recurring trauma to my right foot that was badly sprained last year, just 3 days out from the border, got steadily worse.
The big descents off the major passes during the JMT section, inflamed my injuries exponentially.
I was off trail at mile 210, with a testicular injury (acute tear) for 26 days.
A bout with giardia sidelined me for 18 days at V V R.
Last but not least, much merriment in Mammoth Lakes resulted in an additional 29 zeros.

I’m thinking about starting a little earlier next year... say... January 1st.

Lessons learned:

1 Fix feet (left orthotics in a pair of boots overseas- replace them)
2 Train, train, train (used a cavalier and very flawed strategy of training on the trail- never again)
3 Obtain light to ultra light gear (heavy trucker two years in a row- I got the message)
4 Earlier departure date (left late May- should’ve left mid March)
5 Bring discipline to the use and dispensation of zero days (I don’t like the sound of that strategy one bit) Ha!

At your service,

Paint.