[pct-l] "WILD"...You "ain't" seen nothing yet

Andrea Dinsmore andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com
Sun Oct 20 13:50:47 CDT 2013

Great post.......we are preparing for the "anyone can do it" reasoning.
Have gotten started the idea of making around 50 posters to hang at all the
normal hiker haunts from the Mexican border to Cascade Locks. Real pics
showing what's up here in the North Cascades and what the timing for
arriving up here should be to have the best chance of finishing the hike
before too much snow hits. Everett Mt. Rescue is helping me with that
project. Also working with the Snohomish Co. SAR on an idea to make a video
of rescues and examples of how treacherous it really is when a big storm
like this year hit early.

We spent a lot of time trying to educate the late hikers on what they were
walking into and the need for at least 10 days of food and snow gear. We
supplied the extra food. Had a few smart asses but the majority followed
our advice. Brought in a SAR officer that is the one in the copter who
rescues the hikers. Hoping that his advice on preparedness would impress
the serious nature of the weather.

They need to know before they hit here in mid Sept. what to expect.  I am
hoping a gentle reminder as they head up the trail how important timing is.
We dealt with the Taka rescue this year and the Ian Sarmento rescue last
year. It's hard on the heart when you know a hiker is in trouble and are so
far away to save them myself.

Our idea on fore warning the hikers on timeline is to hopefully make for
fewer in danger and less rescues for the SAR folks. Whether the hikers take
to heart what the posters are telling them.....we can only try.

Hugs,
Andrea