[pct-l] Legs of the PCT (Lint and Anish)- adding Gear

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Sat Oct 26 08:23:23 CDT 2013

Yeah, pretty much agree with Marmot. Even cotton works well. I would be a bit cautious laundering silk in any type of hot water or with harsh detergents like Tide, etc. I ruined a good set of long johns that way. They do add a bit of warmth. But, it's only a few degrees.

Speaking of laundering, it IS possible to simply wash a bag in plain old water, no detergent. Pick a good day for sitting for a couple hours as it dries, though. Heating up to boiling will not damage down, but plastics (zippers, nylon, pertex, etc) can be damaged by higher heat settings. Rushing things at high heats means monitoring these every 4-5 minutes and turning the heat down if needed. Dryers all differ, soo, a small thermometer placed in the pocket of a bag will let you check it, 200-220F is OK. (I just throw my watch/altimeter/thermometer/timer in it.) Sometimes, a bag can be just dried to remove any water and other volatile body oils(scents) to get a few more weeks out of it.
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm