[pct-l] Sleep gear choices...

Jeffrey Olson jjolson60 at centurylink.net
Sat Oct 26 12:05:10 CDT 2013

Once I got a Nunatak quilt my world changed.  I wear long underwear as
sleepwear - it is really rare to wear them outside of sleeping. I do
this because that quilt was so damned expensive - I think they're near
$600 now.  I've had the quilt for 10 years and 150 trail days or so, and
I've never had to clean it - loft is still good.  I've also never
stuffed it.  It has its own garbage bag and is the last thing that goes
in my pack.

The quilt is rated to 20 degrees, and I've slept in colder temps in a
tent with it.  A quilt has three straps with plastic connecters you wrap
underneath your full-length sleeping pad.  When tightened just right,
there is no air leak.  With my new thermarest neoair xlite - very
expensive too - I'm in heaven.  The xlite weighs just about the same as
my full-length blue foam pad.

It is much easier than a mummy bag to cover/uncover parts of my body.
Sometimes I like to have my torso covered with feet exposed. Other times
I like my feet to be covered - you get the idea.

To be sure you can do this with a mummy bag, but my experience says a
quilt is much more versatile.  I roll over a lot at night and can do so
in place without the quilt getting twisted, etc.  A little thing, I
know, but I wake up less to deal with sleeping bag adjustment...

Jeff