[pct-l] What do you say to mountain bikers on the PCT

Nick Thelen nthelen03 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 27 22:15:10 CDT 2013

JPL wrote:
"I'd like to hear from bikers on this.  Seems like having to constantly make
your way over down trees, step-over size for hikers, would be a pain; at
least act as a speed bump."

If no one has guessed - I am a mountain biker.....but I'll be very brief.

Short answer is no - not really a pain.  If it's not a problem for a hiker
or equestrian it's not a problem for a MTB'r.

Also, the nature of the trail (being insanely remote for the most part)
dictates minimal traffic - like super minimal...unless it happens to
be located near a populated area. I would guess this is where virtually all
encounters occur.  MTB's that go out farther simply do not see anyone...and
if they do the encounter is friendly to benign (from my experience)

Addressing a few of Mr. Teschlog's points - some cyclist like flow, some do not.
As there are varying disciplines in hiking there are varying disciplines in MTB'ing.

Also, any type of trail feature that 'locks' a wheel can be unbuilt about 10X faster
than it was built. And Barry's fanciful musings "the USFS will come down hard on cyclists
by allowing XYZ features to be built'.  Never will happen - and we all know it.

In any case, I guess I was not as brief as I though I would be.  I follow Mr. Jacobs Golden Rule...
courtesy begets courtesy.  If y'all feel that strongly (and many/most of you do) please report it....going off
on someone in the backcountry can be unpredictable for all parties (IMO).

Thanks for listening
Nick

PS - I am still wondering how a photo/video will be of any use whatsoever in a rider receiving a citation....
I mean, we all look like spazzy dressed alien bugs with our helmets/glasses/gloves and uber ugly attire. ;)