[pct-l] Opinions on the list -MTB

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 16:56:39 CDT 2013

Here is my opinion, for whatever it is worth.

The mountain bike issue is occurring in a dynamic, not static, environment as far as the trail is concerned.  Facts and forces external to the trail are and will continue to affect it's popularity, use and misuse and not just with mountain biking. Context is everything and discussing issues in isolation is necessarily going to result in a low probability of success in solving a problem, however defined, and is equally likely to lead a high probability of counter productive dissension and conflict.

The greatest attraction (and strength) of the trail community, at least to me, is it's openness and the acceptance of divergent opinions, ages, socio-economic strata; at least on trail.  In fact, thankfully, politics and other intrusions of the outside world are rarely, if ever, discussed. Other's opinions are almost always accorded respect whatever the topic. The key trait seems to be flexibility in dealing with everyday and unusual challenges as they are encountered on the trail as well as respect for others.

My observation has been that some at the beginning of a long hike over plan or approach things based on their past life experiences that are not necessarily relevant to a successful outcome, but it is what they know. Sometimes this results in rigid thinking and inflexibility. The trail is wonderful healer for that.

Dan, take a couple of deep breaths. Everyone appreciates your career in law enforcement. I know I do. But this does not mean that others not in law enforcement shouldn't deter lawlessness and have to embrace passivity when confronted with it. It really isn't really necessary and may even be counterproductive to your position to respond to every post that disagrees with your point of view. We know where you stand. We don't have to agree with it. It's nothing personal.

Here's what I see.

The primary parts of the trail frequented by MTBs are those that tend to be more level and forested. First snow and then blow downs, or their likelihood, restrict biking on those parts of the trail in the spring. The growing number of hikers and the increasing number of hikers hiking as part of a group will diminish the attractiveness of the trail to biking during a six week window during hiking season, which is variable and weather dependent.

The result is that most of the MTBs violating the trail do so in the fall.  This diminishes encounters with thrus, but not with chunk or section hikers. (Except for Big Bear, which ALWAYS has mountain bikes on the trail) The evidence is that numbers of chunk hikers and section hikers have also increased and will continue to do so; probably more than thrus. This is the part of the hiking community that will most likely have conflicts with mountain bikers. Conversely, they are likely to also be the least knowledgable in how to effectively deal with it.

The potential exists for the increase in the number of hikers to result in a practical deterrent merely by their presence. That is, each one or group, becomes the equivalent of a barrier or obstacle in the trail.

Reporting resulting conflicts between hikers and bikers will foreclose any potential future official opening of the trail to mountain bikes. Additionally, if the number of hikers continues to increase into the fall shoulder season then the hikers themselves will likely deter from the enjoyment of the those biking the trail. In essence each hiker, or group of hiker, becomes the equivalent of a separate trail obstacle. If that occurs, then the number of bikers will diminish and reporting of fewer conflicts would allow effective enforcement action to be undertaken.

In the meantime. I stand my ground and I make sure that the offending bikers know I object to their presence. As far as being afraid of getting my butt kicked, that is a risk I am willing to take. But, in my opinion and experience, those who know they are in the wrong, and that others are actually in the right, are rarely going to violence; especially when they are physically capable of a quick exit. Even if it was a case of "flight or fight",which it is not, hikers are the tortoise to their hare and flight is the logical option.

IMHO

Sent from my iPad