[pct-l] Fwd: Mountain bikers

JB de Anza johnbdeanza at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 17:05:41 CDT 2013

Brick Robbins wrote:
*"As an avid bicyclist, and bicycling activist, I can say that bicycle
and pedestrian traffic do not mix well, which is why bicycles are not
allowed on sidewalks.*"

That may be the case in many states but not in Oregon. Bicycles are
generally legal on sidewalks. Nevertheless, the vast majority of cyclists
choose the street and bike ways to avoid conflict. Doesn't seem to be much
of a problem. Just saying.

Brick Robbins wrote:
*"The chance of vehicular and pedestrian traffic conflicting is just too
high,... A high speed MTB bombing downhill, with a rider wearing armor
and a full face helmet, just doesn't mix with a hiker, or a pack
animal on foot.*"

But isn't the kind of mountain biker you are describing exactly the same
kind of person who is going to ride the trail illegally anyway? I just
don't see how a bunch of unconfirmed incident reports and snapshots from
angry volunteers are going to stop those guys.