[pct-l] Jackets for the northern PCT

Randy Godfrey randy3833 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 29 20:28:17 CDT 2013

Timberline,

I absolutely love my Mountain HardWear Hooded Compressor Jacket. It is a synthetic fill jacket (Thermal Q Elite) but still stuffs down pretty small. I have worn it on long trips in the Cascades when it was down in the 20s at night and was still cozy warm.

I also like the Patagonia Nano-Puff, which whas been my go-to jacket for years. However, on a PCT section through Glacier Peak Wilderness in late August a couple years ago, I was exposed to 4 or 5 days of wind, drizzle and snow showers with lows in the 30s. I ended up being very cold and nearly hypothermic in my Nano-Puff. The next season I made the change to the Hooded Compressor Jacket. It is a bit heavier 17oz compared to 10.2oz for the Puff.

I am sure that others have their favorites.

Good Luck,

Randy