[pct-l] 2014 SOBO questions

Cody Coppernoll cody.coppernoll at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 30 21:20:18 CDT 2013

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so bare with me. I will be starting my first thru-hike next season when I begin my SOBO PCT hike. I have already read the available books on the PCT as well as many websites and blogs about the trail. However, most of the information is about NOBO and not SOBO, which I will have to go SOBO because I don't graduate from college until late May. I had a few questions that I was hoping some experienced SOBOers or knowledgeable thru-hikers can help me resolve.

1. What is the easiest/ most legal way of starting the PCT SOBO to include the Canadian section without flip-flopping the trail?

2. I plan on carrying an ice axe, crampons and a GPS for most of the trail to avoid any possible problems with snow-covered mountains, are there any crampons that work well with trailrunners or running-shoe type shoes?

3. I plan on wearing trailrunners and running shoes for the entire trail like most resources suggest, I was wondering how these types of shoes hold up in the snow or if I should consider a different type of shoe for these sections?

Thank you for all suggestions and help