[pct-l] Mountain Bikes

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 18:40:08 CDT 2013

We saw 2 rangers at different spots in Desolation Valley in 2010 and were
asked to show passes by both.  This is probably the busiest section of the
PCT given its proximity to Tahoe.  Two of our crew had thrown their permit
out after it got soaked in a rainstorm and became a useless lump of pulp.
 They were given a warning citation and told to get the pass reissued.
 Having been with a group of thru hikers, all of whom had legal permits,
seemed to have saved their butts from getting real citations as we could
vouch for them having hiked up from Mexico with permits.

We also saw a backcountry ranger near Sisters who was out doing her job of
trail maintenance and we had a wonderful conversation with her.  She also
asked for our permits.

In 2011 while re-hiking WA I bumped into a terrific backcountry ranger in
the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.  Again we were asked for our permits, but the
conversation was so great, he chose to camp with us as it was near quitting
time when we started talking.

All of these encounters were pleasant to say the least, but in all of them
we were asked to show our permits.

Shroomer