[pct-l] tip tricks for smartphones

James Vesely jvesely at sstinternational.com
Fri Sep 13 16:12:45 CDT 2013

  _____

From: BackCountry Navigator
[mailto:support=crittermap.zendesk.com at mail2.atl31.mcdlv.net] On Behalf Of
BackCountry Navigator
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 12:04 PM
To: James Vesely
Subject: Smartphone Navigation in Fall Weather

<http://gallery.mailchimp.com/0d61bb2ec9002f0e9872b8c36/images/envelope_top.
png>

<http://gallery.mailchimp.com/26d2db5530f437a3d73f8e6dd/images/critter_logo_
rev.1.png>

September 12, 2013

<http://gallery.mailchimp.com/0d61bb2ec9002f0e9872b8c36/images/stamp_lower.p
ng>

<http://gallery.mailchimp.com/0d61bb2ec9002f0e9872b8c36/images/stamp_lower_r
ight.png>

<http://gallery.mailchimp.com/0d61bb2ec9002f0e9872b8c36/images/note_tape.png

Hello, outdoor adventurers. For some of us, at least, Fall weather is
approaching. Fall is a great time for outdoor adventures, and for me it
means that snowshoeing season is only four months away.

Here are some tips to help you be better prepared for the weather that is
coming. There are even some affiliated links on Amazon.

Will Your Touchscreen Break?
Next month, i will get messages from some of you that the app became non
responsive in cold weather. You are pushing a button or scrolling a screen
and nothing happens. Is this a software bug?

The cold weather is an indirect cause for your phone's failure to respond.
The real reason is that Android phones use a capacitive touchscreen, and you
are wearing gloves. Usually only specialty gloves will conduct the
electrical current from your finger to the touchscreen.

Here is an examples. These gloves are more available and affordable than
before, they have some simple gloves for chilly weather, and some for some
more hard core snow adventures.

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f43
7a3d73f8e6dd&id=f9e56258f6&e=0d8dec3ce0>
<http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=backcnavig-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B0059BIR4

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f43
7a3d73f8e6dd&id=2e3b0cfec3&e=0d8dec3ce0> Outdoor Research Sensor Gloves on
Amazon
<http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=backcnavig-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B0059BIR4

Is there another solution? Perhaps you already have gloves for all seasons,
and don't want to replace them all. Yes, there is also the touchscreen
stylus in various colors. Just make sure you have a strap to prevent
dropping and losing the stylus. Or buy a bunch. Unlike in older Windows
Mobile phones, simply whittling a twig won't work.

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f43
7a3d73f8e6dd&id=36f2f29544&e=0d8dec3ce0>
<http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=backcnavig-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B008HMT6E

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f4
37a3d73f8e6dd&id=89aa2b3c5e&e=0d8dec3ce0> Android Stylus on Amazon
<http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=backcnavig-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B008HMT6E

Avoiding Soggy Smartphones
Most Android phones and tablets are not waterproof. Maybe more of them
should be. Nonetheless, it is not too expensive to protect them in a
downpour or drizzle, or even in a dusty trail. Get one of these cheap
plastic drybags.

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f43
7a3d73f8e6dd&id=0f0a51c0fa&e=0d8dec3ce0>
<http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=backcnavig-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B008X74EU

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f43
7a3d73f8e6dd&id=473ba12be3&e=0d8dec3ce0> Waterproof Case on Amazon
<http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=backcnavig-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B008X74EU

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f43
7a3d73f8e6dd&id=2e8a11fdd5&e=0d8dec3ce0>
<http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=backcnavig-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00A7ITXF

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f43
7a3d73f8e6dd&id=fff17d2d05&e=0d8dec3ce0> Yes, they have them for 7 inch
tablets, too.
<http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=backcnavig-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00A7ITXF

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f4
37a3d73f8e6dd&id=bb74f26213&e=0d8dec3ce0>
<http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=backcnavig-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00CACQ8O

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f43
7a3d73f8e6dd&id=8681991213&e=0d8dec3ce0> They even have them for 10 inch
tablets
<http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=backcnavig-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00CACQ8O

But wait, won't these have trouble transmitting your touch to the screen? In
my experience, they work fine. However, too much air in the drybag will make
it hard to touch the screen. Too little will make it too tight and cause you
to push all kinds of things you don't want to. So plan to adjust it a bit.

Best of luck. Do not let your fun end if the days get shorter.

Other Questions and Comment
Remember to
<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f43
7a3d73f8e6dd&id=1faf58a335&e=0d8dec3ce0> contact the HelpDesk for any
problems. You can do this through the Help menu on the app and send an error
log if needed.

I am always happy to hear about people using the app successfully in
extended backcountry trips. Here is a recent comment from the Play Store:
Backcountry success Took my Nexus 7 into the Wind River range, Wyoming, for
8 days. Turned on GPS to locate my position on the forest service maps as
needed. Waypoints my campsites and measured the 39 miles I hiked. It was
most excellent. Great app.

Have your own adventure to mention? There are multiple ways to share.

Please make a comment about what you have found the app useful for at the
Play Store. You can also vote for those comments which are most helpful,
unhelpful, or plain spammy (sometimes there are a few). See more at these
links:

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f4
37a3d73f8e6dd&id=b271ff39ca&e=0d8dec3ce0> Leave a comment on BackCountry
Navigator DEMO.

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f43
7a3d73f8e6dd&id=ecfe7cd972&e=0d8dec3ce0> Leave a comment on BackCountry
Navigator PRO.

(This will lead to a listing in the Market, where you can choose to leave or
rate feedback).

Also see some great outdoor pictures on Facebook, or our Google+ page:

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f43
7a3d73f8e6dd&id=69fa013cc4&e=0d8dec3ce0> BackCountry Navigator on Facebook.

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f4
37a3d73f8e6dd&id=3e98fbac32&e=0d8dec3ce0> You can also follow our Google+
page.

Have a great day in the outdoors!

Nathan Mellor

<http://gallery.mailchimp.com/0d61bb2ec9002f0e9872b8c36/images/tape_bottom.p
ng>

Upcoming Events

September 22nd: Autumn Equinox

Regarded by some as the end of summer. But remember, adventure is a state of
mind. Fall is a great time for hiking. And only three months till
snowshoeing season.

About BackCountry Navigator

BackCountry Navigator is an app for Android that allows you tto take outdoor
adventures. You have previously signed up for this newsletter. You can
unsubscribe below if desired.

<http://gallery.mailchimp.com/0d61bb2ec9002f0e9872b8c36/images/icon_envelope
.png>

<http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=26d2db5530f437a3d73f8e6dd&id=f70
cd5d55b&e=0d8dec3ce0> Forward to a Friend

<http://gallery.mailchimp.com/0d61bb2ec9002f0e9872b8c36/images/icon_twitter.
4.png>

 <https://www.twitter.com/Nathan_Mellor/> Follow on Twitter

<http://gallery.mailchimp.com/0d61bb2ec9002f0e9872b8c36/images/icon_facebook
.4.png>

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=26d2db5530f43
7a3d73f8e6dd&id=0bea131f6a&e=0d8dec3ce0> Friend on Facebook

7a3d73f8e6dd&id=d5dcccf1a8&e=0d8dec3ce0&c=f70cd5d55b> Unsubscribe

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage.com/profile?u=26d2db5530f437a3d
73f8e6dd&id=d5dcccf1a8&e=0d8dec3ce0> Update Subscription Preferences

<http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=26d2db5530f437a3d73f8e6dd&id=f70cd5d55b
&e=0d8dec3ce0> View Email In Browser

<http://gallery.mailchimp.com/0d61bb2ec9002f0e9872b8c36/images/note_leaf_bot
tom.png>

<http://gallery.mailchimp.com/0d61bb2ec9002f0e9872b8c36/images/note_leaf_rig
ht.png>

Copyright C 2013 CritterMap Software All rights reserved.
You signed up for this newsletter via our website,
www.backcountrynavigator.com or in our Android app, BackCountry Navigator.
CritterMap Software 3515 NE 252nd Ave Camas, Washington 98607

<http://backcountrynavigator.us2.list-manage.com/track/open.php?u=26d2db5530
f437a3d73f8e6dd&id=f70cd5d55b&e=0d8dec3ce0>