[pct-l] New Wanna-be Thru-hiker

Dan Engleman danengleman at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 23 10:23:20 CDT 2013

Daniel,

Sorry to hear that you think Diane "talks trash" on here; she is an asset to the list and due to her experiences (and willingness to contribute) she has been able to help countless PCT dreamers (past, present, and future) on the PCT-L with her no BS responses.  It is a harsh reality to hear that one needs a pretty healthy chunk of change to get from Mexico to Canada; I hiked in 2011 and it pretty much cost me everything I had saved and then some ....

I am now caught up in another "impossible dream" of wanting to hike the CDT (with no money or savings) but daring to dream is where it all begins; somehow my CDT savings account is growing (albeit painfully slow).  I say (to myself) that I will be out there next season, even though it makes no rational sense.  I would rather put off the hike for another season then run out of money 2/3rds of the way through and trust me when I say that the thought of putting off the hike for another season is an agony that helps keep plugging away at my impossible dream ...  CDT 2014 or Bust!!!

I am happy to see you are daring to dream the dream, that is how it all started for me; now you need to channel your passion into doing the work to make it a reality.  A bit of unsolicited advice for you: think twice before you lash out at those that are willing to tell you the truth about what it is going to take for you to get from border to border; there are, actually, very few trolls on the PCT-L and Diane is definitely not one of them ...

Dan (711)