[pct-l] NoBo & SoBo, on-trail snow skills instruction

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Apr 7 12:12:41 CDT 2014

It is beginning to look like this will work:

Mountain Education will offer PCT-thru-hiker-specific on-trail snow skills instruction to 2014 NoBo & SoBo thrus where they first encounter snow this season so hikers will be safer and more at-ease out there!

We will have a full Course Description with all the details up on the school website as soon as we can get one written! This idea just popped up last week, we’ve explored the feasibility, received interest, and now are more officially putting it out for more input from all of you.

Many hikers simply do not understand what snow-hiking entails until they’re in it, can’t change anything, and have to deal as best they can with the steep and slippery. All this can be avoided and hikes can be safer and more fun, if only a little skills training was included. So, for all of you who missed taking one of our snow skills courses this winter of last spring, here is your chance! We’ll be out there to teach. Who wants in?

NoBo hikers:

Where:   Chicken Spring Lake (11,300’ near Cottonwood Pass), over Forester Pass, and out Kearsarge
When:    May 13-18
              May 19-24
              May 25-30
Cost:      Suggested Donation (see Course Description)

SoBo hikers:

Where:    Harts Pass TH to Monument 78 to Rainy Pass
When:     June 13-22
               June 27-July 6
               July 25-Aug 3
Cost:       Suggested Donation (see Course Description)

We will need to know who will be attending for each date, so if you are interested, you’ll need to visit the school’s website and fill out a Course Application!

We think this ought to bring some peace of mind to everyone, family at home included!

We will be at the Kickoff teaching our annual Mountain Safety topics either in the Pavilion (Saturday) or out by the rocks (Friday). See the weekend’s schedule of events.

Another interesting developing story:  We may be teaching at PCT Days, too, in Cascade Locks come September 5-7, 2014!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org