[pct-l] Alcohol and Esbit Stoves

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Tue Apr 8 19:07:00 CDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM, Terry <tsparks56 at aol.com> wrote:
> Brick, I think you are purposely splitting hairs on this to determine for yourself, how you can get around this directive from BLM.

You are wrong. Dead wrong.

I'm not hiking this year, I have no interest in "getting around" a
directive. I am interested however, in knowing exactly what the
directive is.

> We All know that alcohol and Esbit stoves are not a "controlled flame devise" as they have no shutoff or flame adjustment devise to control them.  After spending 34 years in the fire service, it's pretty simple for me to understand the intent of this BLM order and quite frankly, it's pretty simple for most layman to understand also.<

First off you should learn how to spell. It is a "device' not a "devise."

Second, you say "We All know" but obviously I don't know.  Why don't
you provide a link that defines what a "controlled flame device" is?
That is all I asked for.

YOU  think that "controlled" means a shutoff valve. Maybe "controlled"
means a metal containment.

If the order meant stoves with a shut-off valve, then the order would
have said "stoves with a shut-off valve" like the USFS  does when they
choose to issue their version.

It is pretty clear that this order is poorly written.

It is also clear that the PCTA's page presents the order as more
restrictive than what the BLM published by substituting "only"  for
"such as"

"Only controlled flame portable stoves fueled by petroleum or LPG
products are allowed"
vs
"Controlled flame devices such as portable stoves fueled by petroleum
or LPG products "

All I have done is ask someone to provide a link to what that term means

> Another thing, you should address your questions and responses only to the list serve, CC'ing people serves no purpose, as they get your email anyway and it pisses off the list host.<

It really doesn't matter until the CC list gets longer, then the
replies get held in the moderated queue as potential spam, so you are
wrong again. I didn't annoy myself.

Oh, and you CCed the whole list too.... Just Sayin.