[pct-l] Alcohol and Esbit Stoves

Ken Murray kmurray at dr.com
Wed Apr 9 12:33:49 CDT 2014

I'm not sure that there is any difference in the PCTA listing and the BLM listing, except that the PCTA was nice enough to condense things.

BLM:

 *Setting, building, maintaining, attending, or using open fire of any kind is prohibited in the*
 *designated area. *Controlled flame devices such as portable stoves fueled by petroleum or LPG products
are allowed only by permit.

Brick, you left out the first sentence. The second sentence provides an exception to the first. Alcohol and Esbit would clearly be banned, because neither runs on "Petroleum or LPG products"

PCTA:

Only controlled flame portable stoves fueled by petroleum or LPG products are allowed [campfire permit required for stove use].
I'm not sure what the issue is over the term "Controlled flame device". Can you control the flame? Can you make it higher or lower, or can you turn it off?

Not with alcohol or Esbit, clearly.

And don't be wrong. It's just 12 months in jail if you are wrong.

I think this is crystal clear. Brick, if you don't, why don't you call the BLM and ask for clarification? The PCTA didn't think it was vague, if you think they were wrong, why don't you call them? It seem rather pointless to debate people on the meaning of an official term, and demand, not from THEM, but from the public, clarification.